Saturday, August 8, 2020

I Love You Just as Though You Were My Own

 August 9, 2020

 Dear Subscriber:

 Each week we examine a theme from a variety of points of view. The theme for this week is family.

 I welcome comments on my poems at https://nicholasgordon.blogspot.com .

 A poem to stepchildren about their stepparent’s love:

 I love you just as though you were my own,
Though you are not the children of my blood.
Love’s not lodged within one's flesh and bone,
But in one's heart, which goes which way it would.
I married into you, as into wealth,
Or into some bright mansion, just by chance.
You were not why I came, nor what I felt
That made me give my life to this romance.
Yet once we were a family, out of need,
Love came bubbling up from some sweet spring,
Watering the newly planted seed
That it might in the will of sunlight sing.
So may we long remain through love and art:
Stepparent and stepchildren of the heart.

 © by Nicholas Gordon

 If you enjoyed this poem, please like, comment on, or share it so that it might be seen and enjoyed by others. To see this poem on my site, go to https://www.poemsforfree.com/ilove6.html. For more poems about a variety of family members, go to https://www.poemsforfree.com/familypoems.html .

This week’s theme: Family
August 3: We Once Lived in Israel,You and I
August 4: Cousins Are Our Siblings Once Removed
August 5: In-Laws Aren’t Always Good as You Are
August 6: Nieces Are the Children That We Borrow
August 7: To My Grandchild, with Overwhelming Love
August 8: So Close We Have Become in Thirty Years
August 9: I Love You Just as Though You Were My Own

No comments: