Sunday, July 19, 2020

There Is Within My Happenstance

July 19, 2020

Dear Subscriber:

Each week we examine a theme from a variety of points of view. The theme for this week is politics in honor of Bastille Day, or the national holiday of France, which is celebrated on July 14th.

I welcome comments on my poems at https://nicholasgordon.blogspot.com .

A humorous political poem about the guilty innocence of liberals:

There is within my happenstance
An unshed innocence,
Not rare among those buttercups
Whose sun is fueled by shame.

No matter what the circumstance,
My heart must hie me hence,
For all the quince of Nottingham
Is squandered in my name.

Extant there are no photographs
Of who or what I am,
For they were in the sandwiches
We ate one moonlit night.

Instead my mirror must reveal
The marmaladed ham
That lies atop the tabletop
And stuffs itself with light.

Ay me! What might I do that might
Undo my unfelt pain?
My life must gorge on life, and yet
I sorrow for my mice.

Ay me! The cherubs hunger as
My goods are shipped by plane.
And I must dance with polar bears
Across the shrinking ice.

© by Nicholas Gordon

If you enjoyed this poem, please like, comment on, or share it so that it might be seen and enjoyed by others. To see this poem on my site, go to https://www.poemsforfree.com/quince.html. For more poems about politics, go to https://www.poemsforfree.com/politicalpoems.html .

This week’s theme: Politics
July 13: Darfur/Darfur
July 14: Obama/Osama
July 19: There Is Within My Happenstance

No comments: