Tuesday, February 7, 2017

We Separated Many Years Ago

February 8, 2017

Dear Subscriber:

Each week we examine a theme from a variety of points of view. The theme for this week is romantic love.

Today’s poem is about a destructive, obsessive love.

I welcome comments on my poems at http://nicholasgordon.blogspot.com.

Yours,

Nick Gordon

We separated many years ago
In anger. He left me with an infant son.
I screamed at him for years, I loved him so.
But once he faded, my ordeal was done.

We both remarried, I to someone good,
A man who loves both me and my son well,
Who wants our world to be just as it should,
Whom I can trust to stay through good or ill.

Yet now my ex, though married, says he wants me,
Can't forget me, dwells upon my kiss,
And suddenly each flare of passion haunts me,
And I become aware of what I miss.

My husband has no words to praise my beauty,
No soft endearments trembling with desire.
Because he's so concerned to do his duty,
He's someone who contains his inner fire.

My ex is mad to have at any moment
Whatever ecstasy excites his lust.
His need is an excruciating torment
That bursts into a joy I cannot trust.

Ay, me! I dream of him and am again
The goddess of his fierce and cunning love.
I know that he will bring me only pain,
Yet all my thoughts and passions towards him move.

© by Nicholas Gordon

Hear or watch me recite this poem and listen to the music I chose for it at http://www.poemsforfree.com/wesep.html. For more love poems, go to http://www.poemsforfree.com/lovepoems.html .

This week’s theme: Romantic Love
February 8: We Separated Many Years Ago

No comments: