Friday, August 26, 2016

Though Life Has Saddened Your Blue Eyes

August 27, 2016

Dear Subscriber:

Each week we examine a theme from a variety of points of view. This week’s theme is saying thank you.

Today’s poem is a thank-you poem to a parent for help in getting through a divorce.

I welcome comments on my poems at http://nicholasgordon.blogspot.com.

Yours,

Nick Gordon

Though life has saddened your blue eyes
And pain has nestled near your heart,
You've given me your happiness
As my poor life has come apart.

I never thought that I could watch
My child suffer helplessly,
But you have two that you must watch:
My daughter Tiffani and me.

It's bad enough that this divorce
Has ripped out all my happy years.
But what has my poor daughter done
To inundate her life with tears?

I try to have the strength and faith
To hope, to love, and to forgive.
And then I watch my daughter weep
And wonder why we all must live.

I cannot think what I would do
If I could not this torment share.
I did not ask, but still you came.
I needed you, and you were there.

Sometimes I fear I should have tried
To keep you from this dreadful night.
Yet I would die without your love;
Its beauty is my only light.

© by Nicholas Gordon

Hear or watch me recite this poem and listen to the music I chose for it at http://www.poemsforfree.com/thoug2.html. For more thank-you poems, go to http://www.poemsforfree.com/thankyoupoems.html .

This week’s theme: Saying Thank You.
August 27: Though Life Has Saddened Your Blue Eyes

No comments: