Thursday, March 17, 2016

Saints Are Rarely Saints, if You Know What I Mean

March 17, 2016

Dear Subscriber:

Each week we examine a theme from a variety of points of view. The theme for this week is St. Patrick’s Day, which falls on March 17.

Today’s poem is one for St. Patrick’s Day about saints and sin.

I welcome comments on my poems at http://nicholasgordon.blogspot.com.

Yours,

Nick Gordon

Saints are rarely saints, if you know what I mean.
They're human, with desires, hungers, sins.
Perhaps you thought sin stops where grace begins,
Arrested in such souls as faith redeems.
Then think again. Though angels might be seen
Resting on the wind with rainbowed wings,
In blissful choirs as the sunlight sings,
Can one, ought one be of all sins clean?
Knowing Christ Himself was human, and
'Mid flesh and sin lived out His few short years,
Still human as He suffered and cried out,
Demands that we obey the same command
And follow Him through suffering and tears,
Yet struggling in the heart with faith and doubt.

© by Nicholas Gordon

Hear or watch me recite the poem and listen to the music I chose for it at http://www.poemsforfree.com/saints.html. For more poems about St. Patrick’s Day, go to http://www.poemsforfree.com/stpatricksdaypoems.html.

This week’s theme: St. Patrick’s Day.
March 14: Sing in Celebration of Your Race
March 15: Sing Me a Love Song for My Irish Boy
March 16: Sinners All, We Ask for Your Forgiveness
March 17: Saints Are Rarely Saints, if You Know What I Mean

No comments: