Saturday, February 27, 2016

I Feel as Though a Dam Within Me's Burst

February 27, 2016

Dear Subscriber:

Each week we examine a theme from a variety of points of view. The theme for this week is how marriage both needs and creates a community of love.

Today’s poem is about how a love betrayed can become a prison through the family it created.

I welcome comments on my poems at http://nicholasgordon.blogspot.com.

Yours,

Nick Gordon

I feel as though a dam within me’s burst
And yet the water’s solid and won’t flow.
I cannot bear to touch you, even though
I lie beside you praying for the worst.
Everything I’ve cherished now is cursed
By what I know and what I still don’t know.
I’m shut, and neither can nor cannot go.
I need to gather up my furies first.
My love for you lies murdered and unmoved,
Waiting for a wound that will not bleed.
We stay together for the children, yet
It seems a thousand years since we once loved,
And you were still a treasure and a need,
And I a fool whom fate would not forget.

© by Nicholas Gordon

Hear or watch me recite the poem and listen to the music I chose for it at http://www.poemsforfree.com/ifeela.html. For more poems about marriage, go to http://www.poemsforfree.com/marriagepoems.html.

This week’s theme: How Marriage Both Needs and Creates a Community of Love.
Feb. 22: No Marriage Is an Island unto Itself
Feb. 23: Happy Seventh Anniversary
Feb. 24: Forty Years Together You Have Loved
Feb. 25: A Father’s FiancĂ©e
Feb. 26: Angels Just Love Weddings, Don’t You Think
Feb. 27: I Feel as Though a Dam Within Me’s Burst

No comments: