Thursday, May 6, 2010

Poem of the Week

 
May 6, 2010 #580
 
Dear Subscriber:
 
This week’s poem of the week is a Mother's Day poem.
 
You can hear me read the poem and listen to the music for it at my site by going to http://www.poemsforfree.com and clicking on "Poem of the Week." 
 
You can post a comment on the poem or read other comments on it at http://nicholasgordon.blogspot.com.
 
Yours,
 
Nick Gordon
 
Happy Mother's Day to a dear aunt,
A refuge from conditions and demands,
Perhaps because you have a different slant,
Perhaps because your love is free of plans.
Yet for whatever reason, you are there
More simply and directly than the other,
One with whom a child can always share
The kinds of joys too carefree for a mother.
Happiness can use a bit of room,
Even in the midst of an embrace.
Relevance requires not the womb:
'Tis love and labor that replenish grace.
So do you play this secondary part,
Dealt not by birth but by the willing heart,
Aunt extraordinaire, whose love will bring
Years of memories that dance and sing.
 
© by Nicholas Gordon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely poem about Aunts, I can see myself in this as I have some very special nieces and nephews in my life .

Lynxie said...

Great poem ... I like the different 'slant' on a Mother's Day greeting. I always look forward to reading your poetry ... it is so nice when it arrives in my email box and often inspires me to lift my pen once more ... thank you. ^_^