Thursday, July 31, 2008

Poem of the Week

July 31, 2008 #497

Dear Subscriber:

This week’s poem of the week is a Labor Day poem.

You can hear me read the poem and listen to the music for it at my site by going to http://www.poemsforfree.com and clicking on "Poem of the Week."

You can post a comment on the poem or read other comments on it at http://nicholasgordon.blogspot.com.

Yours,

Nick Gordon

Note: I will be away for the month of August. The next poem of the week will be emailed on Thursday, Sept. 4.

Let the market set the price of labor!
And who would want to vote for such a life?
Because we live in a democracy,
Our policies are shaped by peaceful strife,
Rewarding those who fight for what they favor.

Despite the logic, what fool would agree,
Alerted to his interest, to turn over,
Yielding neck to economic knife?

© by Nicholas Gordon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you write a poem that talks about your life? A really long one, on meaningful shortcomings and personal truimphs, as well as victories.

Anonymous said...

As you can see from my site (http://www.poemsforfree.com), I'm not a confessional poet, and, like a writer of fiction, I feel most comfortable creating work in various personas. Originally, my site encouraged requests, and I saw myself as a kind of poetic voice for others. In "Rules of a Skeptic" I say, "The only way to see something whole is from several points of view," and so that is the way I write best -- from a wide variety of points of view. But for a more straight-on view of my ideas, see "On Being" and "On Wisdom" at my site.

Thanks for your comment!

Nick

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful lines....

And so there are no dreams of you in bed,
Nor memories with which my mind might toy.
Now not grief but hunger mourns the dead.