Thursday, February 14, 2008

Poem of the Week

February 14, 2008 #473

Dear Subscriber:

This week’s poem of the week is a Valentine's Day poem.

You can hear me read the poem and listen to the music for it at my site by going to http://www.poemsforfree.com and clicking on "Poem of the Week."

Yours,

Nick Gordon


Today’s the day I ought to say I love you,
Although I ought to say it every day.
But “ought” can stand directly in the way,
An obstacle to being honest with you.
Why can’t I tell you what I feel for you?
Because a feeling’s too complex to say,
Wrapped in an appropriate cliché,
Offered on the day I “ought” to tell you.
And yet this squeamishness is just a pose
Dissolved into the river of my love,
Which needs no more than one word for its name.
Beneath my wordy sophistry it flows
Like truth that one need neither test nor prove,
A happiness I need but speak to claim.

No comments: